Friday 13 March 2009

Hi there, remember me ?

Hmm, well its been a couple of months since I last wrote here. I've spent most of the last 2 months back home in Glasgow for personal reasons, and well its really played havoc with my plans, and my schedule.

Anyways with the project work I finally got started on the application last week, I'm using the OpenGL application and coding it in C++. For a starting point I have used one of the starting Nehe lessons from here specifically lesson no.6 for those interested.

The first thing that i have started to work on is the map generator. My initial idea is to have a map with all the tiles (aside from the starting and ending tiles) being randomly assigned. Each tile will be either green (grass), yellow (dessert), red(danger) and brown (mountains), with varying penalties assigned to each tile or travel costs.

So far I have managed to code a generator that creates an 80x80 size board of tiles that are each individually textured. The chose texture is randomly generated from choice of 2 (huge variety i know, but its the principle that is important) textures. This definitely forms the basis of my project but at the minute EVERYTHING is included into one C file, as the code is done on the Nehe tutorials. This is not acceptable for me, so i think before I advance too much coding into the map generator I will have to sit down and work on building a proper framework to complete this project under.


No comments:

Post a Comment