Saturday 29 November 2008

A new direction!

Hmm, so its been a while since my last post here, and i guess almost everything has changed in this time. Up till just recently I had been focussing my reading on Artificial Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithm's primarily. This research has proved rather fruitless when it comes settling on a research question, and since this is the whole point of the semester I have been getting rather stressed out with the whole topic.

Well i decided to just leave the subject alone completely for some time, and just take a little break. During this time I've been working on the other work to be completed this term. I've got my Networking assignment due in on the 19th just a couple of days after the proposal is due in. As well as these 2 incomming deadlines, I also have the Networking exam and the Games Professional Awareness exam + essay to work on. Can I cry now ? I can tell this next month is going to be a hectic one with MANY sleepless nights. Anyways back to the topic at hand...

When i decided to come back to the project, I thought about the sort of games that interest me, and potential issues I think could be improved. So this got me thinking about some of my favourite games over the past years. While having played such a huge variety of different games and genres over the years, one of my undeniable favourites has definitely been the Real Time Strategy (RTS) genre - including games from the Warcraft and Command and Conquer series'. But one thing that always annoyed me about these games was the crude way in which the enemy units traversed the terrains. Or the way in which the units would always seem to know where to travel and the shortest routes in advance. While this method is probably the most simple and effective from the perspective of the coder, it is does not serve to make the units seem smart. Mat Buckland states "“If the player believes the agent he’s playing against is intelligent, then it is intelligent”. So in terms of making the games more interesting and enjoyable improving on this crude path finding would be a great place to work on. More updates soon !

No comments:

Post a Comment